Quoting from wikipedia, Originally gado-gado is one of the foods originating from Betawi (Jakarta) in the form of vegetables boiled and mixed together, with peanut sauce seasoning accompanied by egg slices and fried chips or shrimp crackers.
Gado Gado or Salad of Java consists of vegetables that are boiled and mixed together, with mashed bean spices. Equipped with boiled egg slices, cucumber, tofu, and fried onions can add to the enjoyment. Usually the vegetables used are bean sprouts, cabbage, potatoes, spinach, and so forth. Gado Gado is usually served with sliced rice cake. Gado Gado is one of the favorite foods of the Indonesian people.
Gado Gado is a Chinese peranakan food that mimics the Dutch menu. Peanut sauce is a characteristic of gado-gado. There are various versions of gado-gado. But on average it has the same taste that is the fresh taste of boiled vegetables and savory from peanut sauce.
The savory taste of the peanut spices is quite popular, so that it is liked by every level of society. Naturally, if then this dish spread to many regions in Indonesia. Even so popular, many foreigners know him as one of the ‘carte du jour’ or a culinary list that must be tried when visiting Indonesia.
Nowadays Gado Gado is indeed an easy food to find, because the seller is spread in many places. However, instead of buying it would not hurt to occasionally make it yourself. Besides being more economical, by making your own gado gado, you can adjust it according to your taste. Well, here’s how to make Gado Gado which is summarized from several sources.
Simple gado gado recipe
As the name implies, how to make Gado Gado is quite easy. You can also change the ingredients according to your taste. Well, here’s how to make a simple Gado Gado.
- 50 grams of bean sprouts, remove the roots, brew with boiling water, drain immediately.
- 150 grams of vegetable water spinach, chopped, boiled, immediately drained.
- 150 grams of spinach, pick the leaves, boil, drain immediately.
- 200 grams of bitter melon, remove the seeds, then boil.
- 1 piece of tofu (8X8 cm) then fried.
- 1 piece of tempeh (8X8 cm) then fried.
- 1-2 tablespoons of fried onions.
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled chips and fried crackers.
Sauce ingredients (mashed) :
- 200 grams of peanuts, fried.
- 2 red chilies.
- 5 cayenne peppers.
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
- ½ teaspoon of shrimp paste.
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- 200 cc of boiled water.
- Peel the peanut shells then roast. Once cooked puree.
- Then boil the beans with coconut milk, red chili and cayenne pepper that has been fried, shrimp paste, brown sugar and salt, mix all the ingredients for the sauce sauce, then cook until boiling, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Boil vegetable ingredients, such as spinach, kale, bitter melon, and eggs.
- Fried tofu and tempeh.
- Serve neatly on a plate, vegetables and add egg slices. Then sprinkle fried onions and squeeze crackers or chips on top. Flush with chili sauce. Gago-gado is ready to eat.
Betawi gado-gado recipe from Jakarta
Betawi gado-gado was originally a Chinese peranakan food that mimicked the salad menu from the Netherlands. Peanut sauce is the main characteristic of gado-gado. Here is the recipe you can try to make at home :
- Cabbage / cabbage as much as 150 grams is sliced into small slices
- 175 grams of spinach
- Cucumber as much as 200 grams is sliced into small slices
- Bean sprouts as much as 175 grams
- Potatoes boiled as much as 300 grams sliced dice
- 200 gram long beans
- 300 grams of yellow tofu are fried and diced
- Boiled egg is split into two
- Crackers and chips
- Fried onions
Sauce Ingredients (mashed)
- 4 pieces of cayenne pepper
- 4 red chilies
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- Terasi burn as much as 1 tsp
- Java tamarind water as much as 1.5 tbsp
- Salt as much as 2 tsp
- 175 grams of ground beans are finely ground
- Walnuts as much as 175 grams are finely ground
- Soy sauce
- 750 ml of water
- Boil all vegetables until soft then drain.
- Puree red chili, shrimp paste, cayenne pepper, salt until smooth. Then add walnuts and peanuts.
- Add tamarind water, water, sweet soy sauce, and brown sugar. Mix until even and then cook on the face until boiling. Wait until it’s cold.
- Prepare a plate then arrange vegetables, potatoes, tofu, and eggs. Then pour the peanut sauce on top. Sprinkle with fried onions and add extra fried chips.
Padang gado gado recipe from West Sumatra
West Sumatra also has its own version of gado-gado. When generally using rice cake, Padang gado-gado add yellow noodles, sometimes there is also use vermicelli. Crackers / crackers are also replaced with typical pink / red crackers, which are commonly found when eating soto padang or vegetable ketupat. Here is the recipe :
- 250 gr potatoes, boiled and cut into 6-8 parts.
- 2 eggs, boiled and split into 6-8 parts.
- 100 gr of vermicelli, soaked in warm water, then drain.
- 100 gr cabbage, finely sliced.
- 50 gr bean sprouts, remove the roots brewed with hot water.
- 250 cucumbers, peeled and sliced according to taste.
- 2 tablespoons of oil, for sauteing.
Additional ingredient : red crackers/chips crackers and fried onions for sprinkling.
Souce Ingredients (mashed):
- 250 gr peanuts, fried
- 50 gr of red chili,
- 8 cloves of shallot
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 candlenuts
- salt to taste
- soy sauce to taste or according to taste
Other seasonings :
- 5 cm galangal
- 2.5 cm ginger, bruised
- 1 lemongrass, bruised
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons of orange leaves
- 1 gls coconut milk
- enough sugar
- Saute onion, galangal, onion, ginger, lemongrass and bay leaf until the fragrance smells.
- Add the ingredients and seasonings that have been mashed, coconut milk and sugar, stir well, taste, cook until a little oily,
- Cut and arrange all vegetables and other ingredients on a plate
- Then pour the peanut sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle with fried onions.
- Add crackers and soy sauce to taste, serve!